Sunday, May 29, 2011

Summer Green Salad

I love summer cookouts.  Mostly for the friends, but also yummy food.  I have to admit, I'm a burger girl and enjoy a cheeseburger fresh off the grill.  The past few years, I've also become a fan of this "Green Salad".  It's not a traditional green salad with lettuce at all - but it's best in the summer (especially right now) when all of these vegetables are in their prime.  Admittedly, I'm a bit of a chop and dump kind of cooker, so the recipe is approximate, but it is in fact delicious!

This made a huge bowl - probably 10-12 servings as a side dish.
3 cucumbers - chopped
2 avocados (ripe, but not soft - these are before "guacamole" avocados)
1.5 lb asparagus - bring about 1/2 cup water to boil, drop in the asparagus, cover and steam for about 4 minutes
16 oz frozen green peas
3/4 lb feta
6 oz Italian salad dressing
Other seasonings to taste

Literally, chop the veggies, put the peas in frozen, cover with the warm asparagus (chopped after it comes out of the pan).  Dump your crumbled feta, pour your dressing, stir and wait about 30 minutes (make sure the peas thaw completely) and serve.

Yum!

No comments: