Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Homemade Yogurt

Add it to the list of crazy things the Hursts do...making homemade yogurt. We decided that we love yogurt, but wanted to stop throwing away plastic containers, so we invested in a yogurt maker and away we go. We probably don't save that much money by the time we buy yogurt starter, milk, etc. but it's a fun adventure. There's lots of ways to make yogurt, although I recently found this vanilla yogurt recipe and I think it's delicious. The reports from outsiders is that it's a bit tangy, but we enjoy it. Today I had some mixed with granola. Sometimes I'll mix in fresh fruit or a teaspoon of fruit jam.



Ingredients
4 cups milk(your choice whole-skim)
1/2 cup powdered milk (*optional, I skipped it once and it turned out great - this just helps make a thicker yogurt, but also makes it a bit more tangy)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4-6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup yogurt starter(unflavored plain yogurt with active cultures or one single packet)
Directions
1. Set 1/2 yogurt starter out to warm to room temperature.
2. Heat the milk to almost a boil (approx. 180 degrees). Stir occasionally, skim off the skin on the top.

3. Cool the milk (approx. 108-112 degrees).
4. Take approximately 1/2 cup of milk, stir in yogurt starter until dissolved. Mix with remaining milk.

5. Add dry milk*, vanilla and sweetener of your choice; stir well.
6. Fill the yogurt cups and start the yogurt "cooker" using your preferred method and time (longer makes a firmer, more tart yogurt. I like to cook about 11 hours). Chill 4 hours before eating.

No comments: